Obtaining a Social Security Number
- Social Security Numbers are ONLY available to F-1 students who have an offer of employment on campus or specific work authorization granted by USCIS.
- After an offer of employment has been secured, the student must go to the International Student Service office to obtain two letters required for the application process. On-campus employers should follow the guidelines listed on the HR webpage "Employing Foreign Nationals" when planning to hire an International Student.
- Once the student has obtained the two letters, the student must take their passport, immigration documents (I-20), printed I-94 admission number, and the two letters to the Social Security Administration office. You must wait at least 10 days after entering the U.S. before applying for a Social Security Number. Average processing times for a Social Security Number are two to four weeks.
- The Social Security Administration office is located at 4314 Wendover St, Wichita Falls TX 76309. Their phone number is (940) 689-9240. Please check the social security office locator to find out the hours of operation.
- Once you obtain your Social Security Card, take it to the Office of the Registrar, Office of International Services, and Human Resources in the Hardin Administration building