What is needed for a Change of Status?
A change of status to F-1 can be filed to USCIS with the assistance of the MWSU International Student Service Office for those wanting to change from their current status to F-1. It can take approximately three months or possibly longer for USCIS to process a change of status application. Please discuss any questions you may have about this with an International Student Advisor. A brief checklist of items are presented below but more detailed information can also be found on www.uscis.gov.
- Change of Status Application: Form I-539 (.pdf)
- Form I-20 (provided by the International Service Office after an admission has been granted to MWSU and proper financial documentation provided)
- Evidence of financial support that covers the amount stated on the I-20 (i.e. bank statement, letter of support from department, etc.)
- A letter written to the USCIS requesting permission and explaining the reasons to change to F-1 status.
- Passport and I-94 card (small white card) or printed number from www.cbp.gov/i94 and any other documents verifying your current status (i.e. I-797, DS-2019, etc.).
- Receipt Showing Payment of SEVIS I-901 Fee of $200 USD - payable on-line or by check directly to DHS.
- Application fee for I-539: check or money order made payable to "Department of Homeland Security" for $290.00 USD.