It appears that your browser does not support JavaScript. We use JavaScript on our website to display some information. Please use a browser that supports JavaScript.

Introduction to Global Biology

Course Details

Course Number
Biol 1023
Section Number
Biol 1023
Spring 2018
Bolin Hall
Classroom Number
Days & Times

Mon. and Wed., 12:00 p.m. - 12:50 p.m.

Kimberly Beck (view Profile)


Biology: Science for Life with Physiology Plus Mas
Belk, 5th ed. with Mastering
Course Objectives

·         Apply scientific reasoning to investigate questions and utilize scientific tools to collect and analyze data.

·         Use critical thinking and scientific problem-solving to make informed decisions

·         Synthesize and communicate the results of scientific investigations effectively

·         Analyze evidence for evolution and natural selection

·         Define modern evolutionary synthesis, natural selection, population genetics, micro and macro evolution, and speciation

·         Describe phylogenetic relationships and classification schemes

·         Identify the major phyla of life with an emphasis on plants and animals, including the basis for classification, structural and physiological adaptations, evolutionary history, and ecological significance

·         Illustrate the relationship between major geologic change, extinctions, and evolutionary trends.

·         Describe the unity and diversity of life and evidence for evolution through natural selection

Course Expectations

I expect integrity from all students.

If I suspect that a student is cheating on homework, I may choose to record a zero for that assignment for all students involved and/or drop you from the course. I may also choose to ultimately report you to the Dean of students for academic dishonesty.


Any action suspicious of cheating, attempting to cheat, or helping someone cheat on an exam (such as but not limited to looking on someone else’s paper, using notes, having a cell phone or any electronic device out during an exam, or recording or communicating exam content to other students) will result in termination of your exam and a grade of zero. If I can see any kind of electronic device (such as a cell phone) during an exam, regardless of what you are using it for, this will also result in automatic termination of and a zero on your exam.


For more information about the University Academic Misconduct Policy, see the 2016-2017 MSU Student Handbook, Appendix E, “Academic Dishonesty Policies and Procedures”, pages 65-66.

Grading Standards

In lecture, 70% of your lecture grade will come from exam grades, and the remaining 30% will come from online Pearson’s MyLab and Mastering “Dynamic Study Module” assignments.

At the end of the semester, the lecture and lab components of this course will be combined into a single weighted average, with 60% of the final grade coming from lecture, and the remaining 40% coming from lab.        

The grading scale used to determine your letter grade for the course is as follows:

A = 90-100%

B = 80-89%

C = 70-79%

D = 60-69%

F = below 60%

Submission Format Policy Note: You may not submit a paper for a grade in this class that already has been (or will be) submitted for a grade in another course, unless you obtain the explicit written permission of me and the other instructor involved in advance.
Late Paper Policy

If you are late to an exam

If you are late to an in-class exam but no one has turned in a completed exam yet, you have the remaining exam time to take your test. If a student has already turned in the exam, you must schedule a make-up test (see below for “missed exams”).

About missed exams

A make-up exam will only be allowed at the instructor’s discretion and if the student contacts the instructor during business hours of the same day that the exam was originally scheduled.

If a make-up exam is granted, it must be taken during the instructor’s available office hours, no later than the next business day after the originally scheduled exam.

Failure to contact the instructor within the accepted time, inability to take the exam during the instructors’ available office hours or failure to show up for the arranged appointment will result in a zero for that exam.

A ten-point deduction will automatically be deducted from the make-up exam grade.

The make-up exam will not be the same as the original exam and will most likely be in essay or short-answer format. 

Plagiarism Policy

Plagiarism is the use of someone else's thoughts, words, ideas, or lines of argument in your own work without appropriate documentation (a parenthetical citation at the end and a listing in "Works Cited")-whether you use that material in a quote, paraphrase, or summary. It is a theft of intellectual property and will not be tolerated, whether intentional or not.

Student Honor Creed

As an MSU Student, I pledge not to lie, cheat, steal, or help anyone else do so."

As students at MSU, we recognize that any great society must be composed of empowered, responsible citizens. We also recognize universities play an important role in helping mold these responsible citizens. We believe students themselves play an important part in developing responsible citizenship by maintaining a community where integrity and honorable character are the norm, not the exception.

Thus, We, the Students of Midwestern State University, resolve to uphold the honor of the University by affirming our commitment to complete academic honesty. We resolve not only to be honest but also to hold our peers accountable for complete honesty in all university matters.

We consider it dishonest to ask for, give, or receive help in examinations or quizzes, to use any unauthorized material in examinations, or to present, as one's own, work or ideas which are not entirely one's own. We recognize that any instructor has the right to expect that all student work is honest, original work. We accept and acknowledge that responsibility for lying, cheating, stealing, plagiarism, and other forms of academic dishonesty fundamentally rests within each individual student.

We expect of ourselves academic integrity, personal professionalism, and ethical character. We appreciate steps taken by University officials to protect the honor of the University against any who would disgrace the MSU student body by violating the spirit of this creed.

Written and adopted by the 2002-2003 MSU Student Senate.

Students with Disabilities

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal anti-discrimination statute that provides comprehensive civil rights protection for persons with disabilities. Among other things, this legislation requires that all students with disabilities be guaranteed a learning environment that provides for reasonable accommodation of their disabilities. If you believe you have a disability requiring an accommodation, please contact the Disability Support Services in Room 168 of the Clark Student Center, (940) 397-4140.

Safe Zones Statement

The professor considers this classroom to be a place where you will be treated with respect as a human being - regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, political beliefs, age, or ability. Additionally, diversity of thought is appreciated and encouraged, provided you can agree to disagree. It is the professor's expectation that ALL students consider the classroom a safe environment.

Contacting your Instructor

All instructors in the Department have voicemail in their offices and MWSU e-mail addresses. Make sure you add your instructor's phone number and e-mail address to both email and cell phone lists of contacts.

Attendance Requirements

In general

The only absences that are counted as excused by MSU are those required for MSU organizations or events. All other absences are deemed as excused or unexcused at the instructor’s discretion.

The student is responsible for all material, announcements, reminders, and changes to the syllabus (should they occur) discussed in class whether or not you were present.

In lecture

While attendance in lecture will be recorded every day, it will not be used in calculating your grade.

However, excessive absences will be used in decisions about dropping students from the course. 


Writing Proficiency Requirement

All students seeking a Bachelor's degree from Midwestern State University must satisfy a writing proficiency requirement once they've 1) passed the 6 hours of Communication Core and and 2) earned 60 hours. You may meet this requirement by passing either the Writing Proficiency Exam or English 2113. Please keep in mind that, once you've earned over 90 hours, you lose the opportunity to take the $25 exam and have no option but to enroll in the three-credit hour course. If you have any questions about the exam, visit the Writing Proficiency Office website at, or call 397-4131.

Campus Carry

Senate Bill 11 passed by the 84th Texas Legislature allows licensed handgun holders to carry concealed handguns on campus, effective August 1, 2016. Areas excluded from concealed carry are appropriately marked, in accordance with state law. For more information regarding campus carry, please refer to the University’s webpage at

If you have questions or concerns, please contact MSU Chief of Police Patrick Coggins at