- CLEP tests are given by appointment only in the Testing Center computer lab. All CLEP exams are computer-based.
- If you would like to take a CLEP examination, please call our office at (940) 397-4676 and set up an appointment once you have created an online account through College Board, paid the registration fee, and printed the admission/voucher ticket. An appointment can be made during regular business hours, Monday thru Friday.
- To be admitted to take the CLEP exam, 2 forms of ID's are REQUIRED:
- 1) Primary ID must include name, picture, & signature (examples include current passport, State issued ID card or Driver's License, Military ID, Tribal ID card).
- 2) Secondary ID must contain a picture or signature (examples are valid Student ID or Military Common Access Card, or a primary ID that was not used above)
- You may not use a credit/debit card. Social Security or Employee ID card
- These 2 ID's must be presented along with the CLEP Exam Registration Ticket from the CLEP site.
- CLEP tests are $120 per test or $125 if the CLEP test requires an essay.
- Two different payments must be made to take the exam:
- 1) $80 must be made via your MY ACCOUNT on College Board's website.
- Click blue hyperlink Login or register for MY Account Portal
- You must register and pay for the exam you wish to take, print the voucher and bring it with you on the actual day of your exam. No exceptions for this procedure.
- 2) $40 (cash or check) made payable to MSU ($45 for exams that require an essay) which you will bring on the day of your test along with the voucher you printed for the CLEP payment.
You can visit the College Board website for more information on the CLEP test www.collegeboard.com
- What are the conditions for CLEP Subject examinations?
- Credit earned by examination while enrolled at MSU may not be used to meet the minimum residence requirement for that degree or for honors awarded at graduation.
- Credit by CLEP examination assumes that the student has had no formal classroom instruction, as an enrolled student or as an auditor, in the course he is requesting to challenge for credit.
- There is a six month waiting period before repeating an exam.
- The Midwestern State University catalog states, "Credit by examination assumes the student has had no formal classroom instruction, as an enrolled student or as an auditor, in the course being challenged." Be advised that if you have either taken the course being challenged or are currently taking the course being challenged, then you are ineligible to take a CLEP test for the purpose of credit-by-examination.
- How can I register to take a CLEP exam and how much would it cost?
CLEP exams are administered by appointment only and cost $120 or $125 if the exam requires an essay. Give us a call to schedule an appointment at (940) 397-4676 or visit us in Hardin South, room 224.
- How long does the test take and how long will it be until I get my scores back?
Testing generally lasts 90 minutes in the CLEP computer lab. Individual score reports are returned instantly upon completion of the exam except for the exams that require a written essay. Credit will be posted to the permanent record by the MSU course number, hours, and grade points but will be designated as CLEP credit.
- Do I need to be a student at Midwestern State University to take a CLEP exam?
No, you are not required to be a MSU student to take a CLEP exam. The MSU Testing Center will allow any individual to participate in the CLEP examination program.
- Which CLEP exams does Midwestern State University accept?
To find out which CLEP exams MSU accepts visit: http://admissions.mwsu.edu/exampolicies.asp