The Caribbean Recruitment Program began in the fall of 1993 with eight students from Antigua, Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, and St. Vincent. They joined a small group of Grenadian students whose academic achievements gave life to the idea. As we enter the 20th anniversary we have recruited over 1100 students.
Midwestern State University takes tremendous pride in this showpiece program. Our president, Dr. Jesse Rogers, presented a paper on the success of the Caribbean program at Oxford University in London. And what a success! Over 90% of our students graduate from Midwestern State University on time. In fact, the attrition rate for the past five years is about three percent. Almost half of our students graduate with honors. We have numerous Ph.D.'s, MD's, accountants, engineers, entrepreneurs, teachers, and other professionals.
Our recruitment for this program is limited to the islands of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States-the Windward and Leeward Islands, The Bahamas, Suriname and The Virgin Islands. We currently have 250+ students enrolled and have graduated almost 700 since 1995. We typically accept between 50-80 new students each year on a competitive basis. Almost all of our recruits are considered for a Merit Scholarship which carries a Competitive Waiver. This allows them to pay in-state tuition in addition to earning a $1000 academic scholarship. Additional scholarships are available from departments on campus and external sources. A small number of Caribbean students earn fellowships from the Organization of American States, with whom we have established a special relationship.
Several other universities are now actively recruiting Caribbean students following our lead. However, we offer the most comprehensive program geared towards the development of the student with full awareness of their cultural nuances. As such, we are actively involved in assisting students with housing, graduate school placement, employment, programming activities, and cultural exchanges.
Over the past two decades, several Caribbean dignitaries and entertainers have visited our campus. They include:
· Prime Minister Dr. Keith Mitchell (Grenada)
· Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer (Antigua and Barbuda)
· Former Prime Minister Edison James (Dominica)
· Premier Vance Amory (Nevis)
· Former Minister George Odlum (St. Lucia)
· Former Minister Leonard Montoute (St. Lucia)
· Ambassador and Former Minister Vince Henderson (Dominica)
· Hon. D. Gisele Isaac, (Antigua and Barbuda)
· OAS Deputy Sec. General Dr. Chris Thomas
· Former Ambassador Dr. Denis Antoine (Grenada)
· Former Ambassador Dr. Patrick Lewis (Antigua)
· Former Ambassador Dr. Robert Millette (Grenada)
· Former Ambassador Dr. Izben Williams (St. Kitts)
· Former Ambassador Kingsley Layne (St. Vincent)
· Former Ambassador Derrick James (Grenada)
· Former Charge D' Affairs Sonia Leonce-Carryl (St. Lucia)
· Calypsonian Dr. Hollis "Chalkdust" Liverpool
· Calypsonian Dr. Slinger “Sparrow” Francisco
· Calypsonian Winston "Gypsy" Peters
· Calypsonian Alston "Becket" Cyrus
· Calypsonian Edson "Ajamu" Mitchell Soca
· Artist Shurwayne Winchester
· Artist Rupert "Rupee" Clark
· Burning Flames
· Claudette Peters
· Clint Henderson of WCK