Change of Status To F1

What is needed for a Change of Status?


A change of status to F-1 can be filed to USCIS with the assistance of the MSU International Student Service Office. It will take a approximately three months and possibly longer for USCIS to process a change of status application. Please discuss any questions you may have about this with an International Student Advisor.


Ш      Change of Status Application: Form I-539 (.pdf)


Ш      Form I-20 (provided by the International Office)


Ш      Evidence of financial support that covers the amount stated on the I-20 (i.e. bank statement, letter of support from department, etc.)


Ш      A letter written to the USCIS requesting permission and explaining the reasons to change to F-1 status


Ш      Passport and I-94 card (small white card) and any other documents verifying your current status (i.e. I-797, DS-2019, etc.)


Ш      Receipt Showing Payment of SEVIS Fee of $200 - payable on-line or by check directly to DHS. 

Check or money order made payable to Department of Homeland Security for $290.00