All students entering a public, private, or independent institution of higher education in Texas must provide documentation that they have had a meningococcal (bacterial meningitis) vaccine or "booster" dose during the five year period prior to but no later than ten days before the first day of the first semester they will enter that institution.
This requirement DOES NOT include:
- Students who are enrolled only in online courses or other distance education courses which never meet on campus
- Students who are 22 years of age or older
Check your shot records. You may need another shot to comply. Do not submit your documentation until you are admitted.
- Entering fall 2014 - vaccine must be on or after 8/27/09
- Entering summer 2014- vaccine must be on or after 6/5/09
Sole form of acceptable documentation for declining the meningococcal vaccine for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief.
You are strongly encouraged to consult with a physician about the need for immunization against bacterial meningitis before requesting this exemption.
Students entering a 4-year college, university, or other institution of higher education who wish to submit an exemption affidavit for meningococcal vaccination must request the official Texas DSHS affidavit form. This may be done online or by mail/fax. Once requested, the affidavit form is mailed from DSHS to the student. The affidavit must be completed and notarized.
A written request must be submitted for the affidavit via one of the following:
- Secure online request for affidavit: https://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/immco/default.aspx
- Fax the written request to (512) 776-7544
- Mail the written request to:
Immunization Branch, Mail Code 1946M
PO Box 149347
Austin, TX 78714
- Or hand deliver to the
Texas Department of State Health Services
1100 West 49th Street
Austin, TX 78756
Affidavit form requests will be processed upon receipt. All affidavit forms will be mailed via U. S. Postal Service, first class mail. Please allow up to 7 to 10 business days for delivery.
Steps to complete the Meningitis requirement
Mail the NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT to:
Attn: Student Medical Records
514 Daniels Street #367
Raleigh, NC 27605
Note: MSU uses the services of Magnus Health SMR to collect, review, and securely store all student documents pertaining to the meningitis vaccine. Magnus Health’s Student Medical Record is a web-based solution that allows the university to manage the vast number of vaccination records collected, to comply with state law.
- After a student’s application for admission to MSU has been processed, MSU will send notification to Magnus Health SMR. Within 48 hours of Magnus Health receiving notification, the student will receive an email containing a username and a temporary password.
- Once a student logs in to his/her Magnus account, he/she will be able to download forms for proof of vaccination or exemption. Detailed instructions on how to submit the required documentation are available via a 60-second, introductory video.
- Following the instruction provided in the email a student using his/her Mustangs ID number will be able to log into Midwestern State University’s WebWorld and using the user name and password (from Magnus) log into their Magnus Health account at https://secure.magnushealthportal.com/
Students WILL NOT be able to register for class until this new requirement has been completed. The vaccine must be administered within the past five years and at least 10 days before the first day of classes.
If you have not already received the meningococcal (MCV4) vaccine, it is important that you contact your primary care provider or your local public health clinic to determine availability of the vaccination. Some public health departments may offer the vaccine on a sliding scale basis, depending on your income level. The vaccine is offered at the Vinson Health Center, located on the MSU campus. These offices may have limited vaccination times, so be sure to call ahead. Midwestern State University is not responsible for the cost of the vaccination or booster.
What do I do if I have not received an e-mail from Magnus Health?
If you have not received an e-mail from Magnus SMR, or you do not know your user name and/or password, you may call the Magnus Health SMR Help Desk at (877)461-6831. They will be able to retrieve your user name and password and/or reset your e-mail address.
Information about Meningitis
Click Link to Arrive at the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)