If requested, students/parents MUST submit an IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT to the MSU Financial Aid Office -- copies of signed tax returns will no longer be accepted UNLESS a foreign tax return has been filed or identity theft has occurred.

  • To request a FREE copy of you/spouse/parent IRS Tax RETURN TRANSCRIPT, note these options:
  • ‘Get Transcript’ –
    • New service which is accessible after taxpayer authentication
    • Provides immediate display of transcript via PDF file
    • Users view, print and save the file
  • Online – (5-10 calendar days)
  • By phone – 1-800-908-9946 (5-10 calendar days)
  • By mail – IRS Form 4506T (up to 10 calendar days)
  • IRS2Go – mobile app (5-10 calendar days)

(Be sure to request a RETURN TRANSCRIPT, not Account Transcript).


  • For taxpayers who filed an AMENDED IRS Income Tax Return, please provide both of the following:
    •  A signed copy of the original IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS OR an IRS Tax Return Transcript; AND
    • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.
  • If a student/parent reports income-earned-from-work but did NOT file a tax return, student/parent must submit W2’s to the MSU Financial Aid Office to document the income earned from work.