Midwestern State University Department of Music Scholarships are of two types: competitive music scholarships for music majors that require an audition (Music Scholarships), and non-competitive participation awards for members of the bands (Band Scholarships).
Music scholarships are competitive and not related to financial need or state of residence but are awarded based on the applicant’s instrumental or vocal performing ability, ACT/SAT score, high school GPA, participation in ensembles and references provided by ensemble directors or private teachers.
Music Scholarships are provided through the generosity of donors to the College of Fine Arts and are not provided by public or institutional funding, therefore the expectations for receipt of these awards are higher. Recipients are expected to continue their major in music, maintain a specified GPA, make progress toward the completion of the degree and contribute generally toward the mission of the Department of Music through public service performance, or other service as specified by the department. Music Scholarships are subject to review each spring for the upcoming year, and recipients must reapply. Consideration is given to GPA, ensemble participation, attendance, attitude, and progress in performance ability.
In order to apply for a Music Scholarship, complete the Application for Music Scholarship downloadable on the scholarships page, or obtain the application from the Department of Music Office and return it to the scholarship coordinator. On receipt of the application, an audition and interview will be arranged, and notification of award will follow as soon as a recommendation is made by the faculty.
Scholarship applications for incoming freshmen music majors must be received and scholarship auditions completed no later than March 25, 2015 for full consideration.
The link provides a complete listing of Lamar D. Fain Scholarship & Endowment Donors.
THE LAMAR D. FAIN COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS AND THE DEPARTMENT OF MUSIC THANK YOU for being a part of this special community of donors at Midwestern State University. Your support makes a difference on campus!
To report an error or omission,please contact Patricia Lowry at (940) 397-4539or by email at givetoMSU@mwsu.edu
A complete listing will be published in the Honor Roll of Donors in Sunwatcher Magazine in Spring 2015.
For information about the MSU Annual Fund, call (940) 397-4539 or by e-mail at givetoMSU@mwsu.edu
Band scholarships are awarded by the directors for participation in MSU Marching Band.
1. First year and second year members enrolled in the University Marching Band will receive $125 for the fall semester.
2. Third year, fourth year, etc. members enrolled in the University Marching Band will receive $225 for the fall semester.
3. Enrolled members of the University Pep Band who were enrolled members of the previous fall semester’s University Marching Band will receive up to $250 for the spring semester.
4. Enrolled members of the University Symphonic Band who were enrolled members of the previous fall semester’s University Marching Band will receive $100 for the spring semester.
5. Band scholarships are given regardless of classification or major notwithstanding the above.
Students interested in participating in an ensemble or majoring in music at Midwestern State University should fill out our Prospective Music Student form located on the Department of Music homepage.